Monday, July 16, 2012

I was right!

Yes, I was right.  I was not prepared for last Monday's exam.  The amount of work required for the course was more than I anticipated.  I have not had algebra since high school, and what little I learned I long ago forgot.  Algebra seems to be one of the classes that, while required, has almost no practical value unless you are a chemist, an engineer, or want to know when two speeding trains will collide.  I think high schools should require practical math skills of every student and put less emphasis on the algebra.

But I am back in algebra class and have worked hard to keep up.  I spent at least 5 hours every night on my homework and was able to keep my nose above water, so to speak, until we did quadratic equations.  I don't remember doing those in high school at all.  As I said before, I am slow in math and the quadratics required lots of practice.  It got to the point I couldn't keep up and got very far behind.  There was no way I could get a decent grade on the exam, and I didn't.

We had the final on Thursday, and I wasn't prepared for that, either.  I did the best I could, though, and somehow managed to pass the course.  My next math class started this morning.  It is a continuation of the one I just took, so I am sure I will put in lots more hours into the review and study of algebra.  I am sick of math, but if it makes chemistry that much easier in the fall, it is full steam ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment