Thursday, March 3, 2011

Watson-Curtze Mansion

What:  Watson-Curtze Mansion, Wedding Dress Collection
When:  March 2, 2011
Where: Watson-Curtze Mansion, 6th and Chestnut Streets
How Much:  $5.75 (admission plus gift shop expense)

Today I went to the Watson-Curtse Mansion.  I hadn't been to the mansion in several years, and I was saddened at what I saw.  The building is worn and in need of a face-lift.  There were not many people there; perhaps if more people came, there would be greater cash flow to support the work of the Erie County Historical Society. 

I went especially to see the latest exhibit at the mansion, The Wedding Dress Collection.  This collection showcases 30 wedding dresses worn between 1798 and 1980.  The dresses are stunning not only in their style, variety, color and workmanship, but in the individuality of the wearer.  Each dress is unique and I am sure made each bride beautiful on her special day.

There are two dresses which stood out for me.  The first is from 1916; I love the clothes from WWI and this three piece dress of fine lawn is exquisite.  My other favorite is from 1957, a beautiful gown of tulle and chantilly lace.  It was designed and made by the bride's mother. 

It is difficult to find fault with the display as I know very little of the care and display of vintage clothing.  However,  in an ideal world the display could have been improved in two ways.  First, the dresses are sometimes placed far behind the barriers, and it is difficult to see the details.  I appreciate fine workmanship, and it was disappointing not to get a closer look.   Second, the first dress I saw in the foyer looked a bit rumpled and in need of a steam press.  I hope that was just an oversight in an otherwise nice display. 

Don't let my suggestions for improvement turn you off from seeing the display because it is otherwise very enjoyable to view.  The staff did well with this and should be thanked for their efforts.  Please see this before the exhibit changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment